Saturday, April 12, 2008

Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon

Went to Orchard Cineleisure to catch Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon today.



To be honest, I never completed reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Neither was I attracted to the online game. But at the very least, I did have an idea of what the story was about.

This movie was solely about Zhao Zi Long (Andy Lau) and his achievements and contributions. I know it's probably not easy to squeeze the whole load of story into a 106 mins movie. Therefore, this Daniel Lee's attempt should be applauded no matter what.

I felt that some scenes were unnecessary, and many scenes were "rushed thru". But the superb acting skills of the cast did compensate in a way. Luo Ping An (Sammo Hung, did this character really exist?) played an elder brother and the narrator. Under exposed in the beginning of the movie, didn't quite show up during the movie, but played very well towards the end. Cao Ying (Maggie Q, I thought this character was supposed to be male?!) appeared only towards the end of the movie. I felt she looked too "Ang Moh" to fit in anywhere. But still, acting was commendable. As for Andy Lau, I still think he looks damn good after all these years. In fact better as he ages!

War scenes were quite interesting. Some parts left me sitting at the edge of my seat. But certain actions looked quite awkward. I liked the scene where Zhao Zi Long went out to rescue Liu Bei's son. And also quite enjoyed the final battle between Zhao Zi Long and Cao Ying. Sammo Hung had choreographed the action scenes himself. I'd like to say quite well done.

Overall, it's quite interesting... watchable... And btw, getting quite expensive to watch movies these days. $10.00 per ticket, geez...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know nuts about Luo Ping An, but Cao Ying is a fictional character.