Thursday, May 3, 2007

Did a translation for Director Neo!

Had been down with a flu, but still in a good mood. Earlier this week, I received a surprise request, from Director Neo himself, to help translate an article written completely in Chinese to English!

It was a total shock to me. My Chinese... I describe it as "As good as his English" hahahahaha. But still, when that email came about, I was very happy. I tried reading the entire article first (and that took a damn long time!), and after that I armed myself with a dictionary and started doing the translation, line by line. My God! Very very tedious, no joke. So many words I didn't recognise. So many phrases I didn't understand. I had to read it over and over again to make it sound like it made sense at all to me. Whenever I finished one paragraph, I was happy like a gazelle.


This was the article in Chinese before translation

This is after my translation

Honestly speaking, I thought he had probably gotten many other people to help translate his article. But I just tried my best since I saw it as a challenge. But little did I expect that he'd use my work on his blog and publicly thank me in it too. I'm so happy and proud of myself. Although it was not a perfect piece of work, but I know I did my best and put in a lot of effort. So a big hand for myself too!

Let's hope I could be of more service to our much respected Director Neo. 谢谢你给我机会学习!

P/S: Director Neo did make changes and edited the article slightly after my translation.

2 comments:

Katrin said...

Thanks for coming by my blog. I like yours, and I hope that you feel better now! Good job on the translation, I find it very hard to do it from English to German. I couldn't imagine doing Chinese!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I read it. It's very well translated. Good job, keep it up!