Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Devil Wears Prada

Have been reading this weekend. EJ bought me this book before she went back to Korea. The Devil Wears Prada. I thought it had a very good storyline.

I watched the movie too. Starring Meryl Streep as Miranda Priestly, and Anne Hathaway as Andrea Sachs.

The story's abt this fresh grad Andrea (or Andy) who goes in search for an editorial job in NYC, and chances upon Runway magazine, THE fashion magazine in THE industry. Instead of getting the job as an editor, she gets the "to-die-for" position as Miranda's (the most successful & respected person in the fashion scene) personal assistant.

Although her new boss was a monster, Andy's friends helped her get thru the torture. Thru her strong will, determination and hard work, Andy became Miranda's must trusted Personal Assistant. However, as time went by, Andy's perspective changed. She had also lost her boyfriend (whom she'd neglected due work commitments).

As time went by, she realised that she had to decide between career and her loved ones. All this while, she had the impression that she took on the job because she didn't have a choice. However, it didn't quite appear so... ...

** I put myself in the shoes of Miranda and thought for a moment. I am known as the queen of this industry in this SEAsia region (because there are currently no other females in a similar role within the organisation). And I wonder if I'm as tough as Miranda just to maintain my position and earn my respect.
** I put myself in the shoes of Andy and a different light came into my mind. I'm working so hard to earn my keep. And inevitably get embroiled in a society where men take the lead, and politics are a just another cup of tea.
** Both Miranda & Andy were tired at the end of the story, but, the show must go on. In my case, I'm still wondering... ...

Update 23 April 2007 12:48am

I Just surfed into Alec Su's blog and realised that he too watched this movie and he too wrote abt it in his blog! Erm... Great minds think alike??!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool~ Now i can comment safely BWAAHAAHAAAHAAAA

Princess Carol said...

yes you may, however, would appreciate if you can leave an identity.... rude/nonsensical/irresponsible comments will be deleted. thks!!!

tweetie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lamoreeunafarfalla said...

Your blog is very nice :)
I searched ' Devil wears prada ' at google and I found your blog. I think you are very good writer